Sunday, 27 March 2011

Down on the Allotment - March

Spring is finally here and my allotment is beginning to look loved again. This is mainly due to the fact that with a little bit of cajoling 'him indoors' has ventured out to give me a hand. It's amazing what the promise of a chair, flask of tea and chocolate biscuit can do. I now have a rotavated plot and the back area where the tool box is has been leveled and sown with grass seed. I like to call this bit my orchard as I have three fruit trees planted there namely a Quince, Crab Apple and a Cherry (this is where the tea drinking takes place).

I have sown four rows of early potatoes some garlic and onions in the left hand side in front of the fruit beds. My Dad has been a complete star and nurtured my seedlings in his greenhouse this year. This was a calculated move as he seems to have very green fingers. He has things in his raised herb bed that could have a walk on part in a remake of 'Day of the Triffids'! He gives me regular updates as to how my babies are coming along. Next month they'll be out of nursery school, into long trousers and living on the allotment.


Clockwise from top left: The plot rotavated and ready to go, A lone Anemone shows itself, The Rhubarb takes off, Seed Onions ready to go in, Runner Beans in the Greenhouse, Primroses.



Quince - 'Portugal' in bud
Seedlings in my Dad's greenhouse

Some allotment/kitchen garden links:-

Books by Paul Merrett TV chef including Using the Plot
Helpful video clips from Alys Fowler
One of my most thumbed cookery books from Jamie Oliver Jamie at Home

No comments: